why robotics will be (and already is) an important avenue for science and technology education.
- Dewey, Piaget and the seven intelligences
- The most important shapers of educational theory have all agreed that physical mainipulation, or some real contact with the physical environment is an important component to successful education.
- There is currently much International interest and many events and opportunities to collaborate with others.
- China’s department 863 has put huge amounts of government funding into working towards making robotics part of the state curriculum. In Britain there is a push to include robotics in the mandatory design class. In Russia there are already 3000 schools which include robotics in their curricula and a representative of the ministry of education at the first world symposium on robotics in science and technology education affirmed that they were attempting to expand the use of robotics. Other places that sent teams to the WRO 2008 include Sweden, Norway, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Japan, Malaysia as well as many others.
- Clearly defined goals (or outcomes)
- Assessment is based on the real performance of the creation of the students.
- Mechanical manipulation (the seven intelligences)
- Working in teams to achieve a common goal
- Study electronics, computer programming and design
- Overcoming gender biases in engineering
- A new tool to reach at risk kids.
- Lego makes regular kids feel empowered. It makes kids feel like geniuses. Kids who build robots that have real capabilities to solve real world problems, beyond what they expected they would be able to do.
A view of engineering for the 21st century
Monbusho (Japanese ministry of education)
The Japanese ministry of education has recognized the importance of robotics for our future and has already allocated funds and mandated that robotics be mandatory at the junior high school level.
- The greenhouse as robot (Japanese Tomato Plant).
- Robots can tirelessly monitor all environmental conditions in an agricultural situation. Avoiding pathogenic agents and maximizing conditions for growth.
- Robots can work in adverse conditions and continuously plant and care for trees.
- Reforestation is one of the pressing issues on the planet currently.
Robotics and nanotechnology
This involves sending tiny molecular robots inside the body to repair damaged tissue, kill cancer cells or parasites or unclog arteries. It might even be used to repair genetic dysfunctions. Robots can continually communicate information from inside of your body, including, specific chemical levels like glucose, medication levels, or temperature. Nanorobots will revolutionize medical testing. Biopsies will be obsolete, much of surgery will be noninvasive.
Robots are communication tools
Computers have a virtual connection with the environment but Robots have a real connection with the environment. Robots are mobile and can go places that people cannot go. They can send information to researchers from inside of a body (animal or human), from the surface of mars, from extreme depths in the ocean, from hazardous environments such as chemical spills or battle zones. Robots can send information from remote locations and they can carry out mechanical functions.